Monday, July 13, 2009

KENYA-BOUND!!!


Everyone says to expect the unexpected but to also drop ALL expectations. Maybe it was a foolish move on my part to have internally expected a specific assignment. It wasn't until time drew closer to receiving my invitation that I began to open myself up to the possibility of other assignments. My friend Ali sent me an email informing me that she read about PC Deaf Education programs operating not just in Kenya, but also in Ghana and Zambia - both great countries to also serve!

BUT, I have FINALLY received my invitation kit and with it, the official word: I've been assigned to work in Deaf Education in Kenya! I'll be leaving in the beginning of November, as of right now. The kit also stated my job description as "Behavior Change Communicator". You can imagine my reaction - what exactly does this mean? Perhaps it will also be part of my duty to advocate for deafness and disability rights and to communicate that message to the greater Kenyan community. What an amazing, albeit challenging task!

I'll write more as I read more... its a rather LARGE kit!

No longer will I have to dance around my words or attach an addendum to the end of every explanation... at last, I am finally officially in the Peace Corps!

1 comment:

  1. how exciting!! congrats!! good thing you are in bootcamp+ shape, you can run away from scary stuff!!

    ReplyDelete